Safety Protocol for Continuing Education Participants – June 2020
The following protocols encourage our learning community to consider others as well as themselves and empowers participants to take responsibility for their own health and safety amid the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic.
Protocols for a safe return to campus include:
- Participants visiting our office or attending a BSC Continuing Education & TrainND class should be in good health and should not be experiencing any flu-like symptoms for 72 hours without the use of medicine to reduce fever.
- Any participant diagnosed with COVID-19, exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, or who has been exposed to someone with COVID-19, must notify Continuing Education staff at (701) 224-5600.
- Participants are to notify Continuing Education staff within 24 hours of any absence and provide a general rationale for their absence.
- Any participant diagnosed with COVID-19, reporting fever or respiratory symptoms, or who have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 within the last 14 days, will be directed to stay home.
- Specialized disinfecting procedures will be implemented to spaces where COVID-19 symptoms have been reported.
- Participants entering a BSC building must do so through an Entry Control Point (ECP)
- At least one ECP is available at each building throughout our campus.
- Staff stationed at each ECP will follow disinfecting procedures.
- To gain entry, participants will be required to consent to a thermal scan. Anyone with a fever over 100.4 will be turned away.
- Participants must wear a face mask (cloth or surgical) covering their mouth and nose.
- Masks must be worn in common spaces such as hallways, bathrooms, and other meeting areas.
- If a participant does not have a face mask, one may be provided by BSC.
- Additional Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective gloves, may be required during certain tasks.
- Social distancing of six feet of separation must be maintained.
- When an instructional occurrence is necessary where social distancing is not possible, additional PPE will be provided.
Additional health and safety protocols during class time involve the following:
- Participants are to disinfect by wiping high-touch surfaces, including materials and equipment. Disinfectant products will be provided.
- Participants are encouraged to wash their hands with soap and water frequently and/or use hand sanitizer available in the classroom or laboratory.
- Participants should remain in their instructional area.
- Participants will be limited to entering and leaving buildings, classrooms, and labs through designated doorways.
- Participants are to adhere to internal building directional and safety signage.
It is not to be assumed that all risk from COVID-19 will be eliminated. Rather, these protocols provide the opportunity for the college to continuously monitor and evaluate risk, and to adapt practices to mitigate that risk considering direction and guidance by the ND Department of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and other health professionals and experts.