Non-Credit Career Pathway Course
Security Operations Fundamentals is an introductory level course targeted to entry-level candidates in the cybersecurity workforce and anyone who participates in activities over the internet. You will have access to an instructor while you complete this 30-hour self-paced, online course.
In the Security Operations Fundamentals course, you will gain an understanding of Security operations (SecOps) and the role it plays in protecting our digital way of life, for businesses and customers. You will learn continuous improvement processes to collect high-fidelity intelligence, contextual data, and automated prevention workflows that quickly identify and respond to fast-evolving threats. You will also learn how to leverage automation to reduce strain on analysts and execute the Security Operation Center’s (SOC) mission to identify, investigate, and mitigate threats.
The academic curriculum developed and authorized by Palo Alto Networks Academy and delivered by Palo Alto Networks Academy Partner, Bismarck State College, helps provide the knowledge and expertise that prepare you to protect our digital way of life. Our trusted certifications validate your knowledge of the Palo Alto Networks Security Operating Platform and your ability to help prevent successful cyberattacks and safely enable applications.
- Identify the key elements of security operations (SecOps) and describe SecOps processes.
- Configure and test log forwarding for traffic analysis investigation and response.
- Describe SecOps infrastructure including security information and event management (SIEM), analysis tools, and security operations center (SOC) engineering.
- Define security orchestration, automation, and response (SOAR) for SecOps.
- Recognize the major components of the Cortex XDR deployment architecture and explain how it protects endpoints from malware and exploits.
- Review how Cortex XSOAR automates security response actions.
- Explain how SOC teams can leverage Cortex Data Lake to collect, integrate, and normalize enterprise security data with advanced artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning.
- Outline how AutoFocus delivers contextual threat intelligence to SOC teams to enable actionable insight into real-world attacks.
- Configure Mindmeld for threat intelligence gathering and response.
Security Operations Fundamentals is a 30-hour self-paced, online course completed over 12 weeks.
Successful completion of the Cloud Security Fundamentals course or comparable experience. You are expected to have basic Internet and application software skills.
- Module 1: Elements and Process of SOC
- Module 2: SOC Infrastructure & Automation
- Module 3: Advanced Endpoint Protection
- Module 4: Threat Prevention & Intelligence
- Module 5: Secure the Future (Cortex)
Although not required, this course along with the following courses are building blocks to earn the Palo Alto Networks Certified Cybersecurity Entry-level Technician (PCCET) certification, which is a knowledge-based certification that validates your understanding of fundamental cybersecurity, network security, cloud security, and SOC security:
- Cybersecurity Foundation
- Network Security Fundamentals
- Cloud Security Fundamentals
Participants must contact the BSC Continuing Education office at least five (5) business days prior to the start of class for a refund at (701) 224-5600. If a participant cancels less than five (5) business days prior to the start of the class, the entire registration fee is forfeited. Full refunds are guaranteed if BSC Continuing Education cancels a course.
A $20.00 processing fee will be deducted from the amount refunded. All approved refunds are made by mail unless paid with a credit card or electronic check in which case the card or account is credited. Please allow three (3) weeks to process refunds. There are no refunds if an online course has been accessed.