Non-Credit Career Pathway Course
Network Security Fundamentals is an introductory level course targeted to entry-level candidates in the cybersecurity workforce and anyone who participates in activities over the internet. You will have access to an instructor while you complete this 45-hour self-paced, online course.
In the Network Security Fundamentals course, you will gain an understanding of the fundamental tenants of network security and review the general concepts involved in maintaining a secure network computing environment. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to describe general network security concepts and implement basic network security configuration techniques.
The academic curriculum developed and authorized by Palo Alto Networks Academy and delivered by Palo Alto Networks Academy Partner, Bismarck State College, helps provide the knowledge and expertise that prepare you to protect our digital way of life. Our trusted certifications validate your knowledge of the Palo Alto Networks Security Operating Platform and your ability to help prevent successful cyberattacks and safely enable applications.
- Identify the common enterprise network devices.
- Differentiate between routed and routing protocols.
- Recognize the various types of area networks and topologies.
- Describe the Domain Name System DNS, FQDN, and IoT.
- Recognize decimal binary, and hexadecimal conversion methods.
- Describe the structure and fields of an IP header, IPV4, and IPV6 addresses.
- Subnet an IPV4 Class C addressing scheme and configure an IP address on the firewall.
- Review the four DHCP process messages and Network Address Translation (NAT).
- Setup the firewall as a DHCP server and test the DHCP client.
- Recognize packet encapsulation and the lifecycle process.
- Identify protocols and define the OSI and TCP model layers.
- Review the transport layer protocols, ports, and packet filtering procedures.
- Create and analyze packet captures using Wireshark.
- Identify common network security encryption algorithms and key management concepts.
- Recognize symmetric/asymmetric key rotation techniques and PKI.
- Generate a Self-Signed Root Certificate Authority (CA) certificate.
- Create a decryption policy on the firewall to decrypt SSH traffic and SSL traffic.
- Describe the benefits of the next generation firewall single pass architecture.
- Identify the NGFW App-ID, User-ID, Content-ID and deployment options.
- Explore the five steps required to implement a NGFW zero-trust environment.
- Configure the NGFW to monitor, forward, and backup system logs (Syslog).
Network Security Fundamentals is a 45-hour self-paced, online course completed over 12 weeks.
Successful completion of the Cybersecurity Foundation course or comparable experience. You are expected to have basic Internet and application software skills.
- Module 1: The Connected Globe
- Module 2: IP Addressing
- Module 3: Packet Encapsulation
- Module 4: Network and Endpoint Security
- Module 5: Network Security Principles
Although not required, this course along with the following courses are building blocks to earn the Palo Alto Networks Certified Cybersecurity Entry-level Technician (PCCET) certification, which is a knowledge-based certification that validates your understanding of fundamental cybersecurity, network security, cloud security, and SOC security:
- Cybersecurity Foundation
- Cloud Security Fundamentals
- Security Operations Fundamentals
Participants must contact the BSC Continuing Education office at least five (5) business days prior to the start of class for a refund at (701) 224-5600. If a participant cancels less than five (5) business days prior to the start of the class, the entire registration fee is forfeited. Full refunds are guaranteed if BSC Continuing Education cancels a course.
A $20.00 processing fee will be deducted from the amount refunded. All approved refunds are made by mail unless paid with a credit card or electronic check in which case the card or account is credited. Please allow three (3) weeks to process refunds. There are no refunds if an online course has been accessed.