Non-Credit Career Pathway Course
Cybersecurity Foundation is an introductory level course targeted to entry-level candidates in the cybersecurity workforce and anyone who participates in activities over the internet. You will have access to an instructor while you complete this 30-hour self-paced, online course.
In the Cybersecurity Foundation course, you will learn fundamental principles associated with the current cybersecurity landscape and identify concepts required to recognize and potentially mitigate attacks against enterprise networks as well as mission critical infrastructure. You will also learn how to initially setup and configure interfaces, security zones, authentication, and policies on a next generation firewall.
The academic curriculum developed and authorized by Palo Alto Networks Academy and delivered by Palo Alto Networks Academy Partner, Bismarck State College, helps provide the knowledge and expertise that prepare you to protect our digital way of life. Our trusted certifications validate your knowledge of the Palo Alto Networks Security Operating Platform and your ability to help prevent successful cyberattacks and safely enable applications.
- Discover modern computing trends and application threat vectors.
- Configure a network interface and test for connectivity.
- Identify cloud computing and software-as-a-service (SaaS) application challenges.
- Review cybersecurity industry regulations and standards.
- Explore recent cyberattacks and their impact on business.
- Review attacker profiles, motivations, and the Cyber-Attack Lifecycle.
- Recognize high-profile cybersecurity attacks and Advanced Persistent Threats.
- Identify malware types, vulnerabilities, exploits, spamming and phishing attacks.
- Configure and test a malware analysis security profile.
- Describe how bots and botnets are used to attack enterprise networks.
- Explore Zero Trust design principles, architecture, capabilities, and implementation.
- Review perimeter network security strategies, policies, models, and trust boundaries.
- Setup and configure inside, outside and DMZ security zones on a NGFW.
- Create and test an authentication policy on a next generation firewall.
- Review capabilities of the Security Operating Platform and components.
- Explore how to secure the enterprise with NGFW and Traps endpoint protection.
- Discover how to secure the cloud with Prisma Access, SaaS, and Cloud.
- Apply two-factor authentication on the next generation firewall (NGFW).
- Configure the NGFW to allow only trusted applications.
Cybersecurity Foundations is a 30-hour self-paced, online course completed over 12 weeks.
There is no course prerequisite for the Cybersecurity Foundation course. You are expected to have basic Internet and application software skills.
- Module 1: Cybersecurity Landscape
- Module 2: Cybersecurity Threats
- Module 3: Cybersecurity Attack Types
- Module 4: Cybersecurity Design Models
- Module 5: Security Operating Platform
Although not required, this course along with the following courses are building blocks to earn the Palo Alto Networks Certified Cybersecurity Entry-level Technician (PCCET) certification, which is a knowledge-based certification that validates your understanding of fundamental cybersecurity, network security, cloud security, and SOC security:
- Network Security Fundamentals
- Cloud Security Fundamentals
- Security Operations Fundamentals
Participants must contact the BSC Continuing Education office at least five (5) business days prior to the start of class for a refund at (701) 224-5600. If a participant cancels less than five (5) business days prior to the start of the class, the entire registration fee is forfeited. Full refunds are guaranteed if BSC Continuing Education cancels a course.
A $20.00 processing fee will be deducted from the amount refunded. All approved refunds are made by mail unless paid with a credit card or electronic check in which case the card or account is credited. Please allow three (3) weeks to process refunds. There are no refunds if an online course has been accessed.